Lemonade vs. Trupanion Pet Insurance: 2023 Comparison
Lemonade and Trupanion offer pet insurance that can help cover veterinary bills if your pet is unexpectedly hurt or falls sick. See how each provider differs and what pet insurance costs in this Lemonade vs. Trupanion review.
We at the Guides Home Team have analyzed the top pet insurance companies to help you find the right policy for your dog or cat. Read on to learn more about Lemonade and Trupanion.
Compare Lemonade and Trupanion
Lemonade and Trupanion offer accident and illness coverage for your pet. You can compare both providers side-by-side using the table below.
Lemonade is the only completely digital provider in the pet insurance industry, offering customizable accident and illness coverage with an easy-to-use mobile app. Based out of New York, the company uses artificial intelligence to provide easy enrollment, claims processing and customer service. And by automating its underwriting operations, Lemonade can cut down on company costs to market some of the lowest monthly premiums industry-wide.
Lemonade offers one pet insurance plan that covers a range of pet-related accidents, illnesses, hereditary conditions and chronic conditions. The company covers veterinary services that include:
- Diagnostics like blood tests, lab work and urinalysis
- X-rays, ultrasounds, CT scans and MRIs
- Emergency care, surgery and hospitalization
- Outpatient and specialty care
- Prescription medications
You can further personalize your policy by choosing from the following options:
- Annual coverage limit: $5,000, $10,000, $20,000, $50,000 or $100,000
- Annual deductible: $100, $250 or $500
- Reimbursement rate: 70%, 80% or 90%
For more robust coverage, you can add preventative care coverage to your pet insurance plan. Lemonade offers two wellness plan options for adult animals and one specifically for puppies and kittens. These routine care riders cover routine care like annual wellness exams, vaccinations, parasite tests, and for younger pets, microchipping and spay or neuter surgeries.
However, Lemonade is only available in certain states and Washington, D.C.
Lemonade Coverage Exclusions
Lemonade excludes pet medical expenses related to the following:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Dental illness care
- Illnesses or injuries arising from intentional abuse or gross negligence
- Cosmetic procedures (grooming, nail trimming, etc.)
- Internal and external parasite prevention
- Prescription food
- Behavioral therapy or obedience training
- Breeding and pregnancy-related care
- Cremation and burial
Lemonade extends waiting periods of two days for accidents and 14 days for illnesses. The company will not cover orthopedic conditions like hip dysplasia or cruciate ligament injuries for six months.
How Much Does Lemonade Cost?
Based on the quotes we gathered, pet insurance with Lemonade costs around $37 per month for dogs and $15 for cats.
Your cost of pet insurance may vary depending on your pet’s age, breed, location and health status. Older pets and breeds prone to congenital conditions typically incur a more expensive premium since they present a higher risk based on an increased likelihood of needing medical care.
Lemonade offers discounts if you bundle your pet insurance with another policy, like Lemonade renters insurance or homeowners coverage. It also offers a discount if you enroll multiple pets in coverage and pay your annual premium in full.
Lemonade Monthly Pricing
To give you an idea of how much Lemonade pet insurance costs each month, we pulled sample quotes for different pets in Ojai, Calif. The below estimates are based on an accident and illness policy with an 80% reimbursement option, a $20,000 coverage limit and a $250 deductible.
To learn more: Read our Lemonade pet insurance review
Like Lemonade, Trupanion offers standard pet insurance coverage with its accident and illness policy. It covers a variety of medical expenses related to approved conditions, including:
- Breed-specific and congenital conditions
- Emergency care
- Veterinarian-recommended supplements and herbal therapy
- Prescription pet food
- Prosthetic devices and carts
- Euthanasia if recommended by your vet for medical reasons
Trupanion does not have a preventive care plan, but it does offer other coverage options for pet owners looking to maximize their policy.
- Recovery and Complementary Care: Covers your pet’s rehabilitative and non-clinical treatments, like physical therapy. It also includes acupuncture, hydrotherapy or other alternative therapies.
- Pet Owner Assistance: Includes coverage for non-medical costs such as pet burial or cremation and boarding.
- Breeding: This rider covers costs related to pet breeding.
All of Trupanion’s policies include a 90% reimbursement rate and unlimited coverage. While most pet insurance companies (like Lemonade) feature annual deductibles that renew each year, Trupanion extends lifetime per-condition deductibles. Pet parents can choose between deductible options of $0 to $1,000. Once you meet the copay for a specific condition, you do not have to pay it again if that condition reoccurs.
Trupanion is also unique in offering direct payment at your vet’s office, versus a traditional reimbursement or payout after you file a claim.
Trupanion Coverage Exclusions
While Trupanion pet insurance covers pet care related to accidents and illnesses, it does not cover everything. The company will not reimburse vet expenses related to the following:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Preventive care, including wellness checkups and microchipping
- Exam fees, vet visit fees and administrative costs
- Illnesses or injuries that arise from reckless endangerment
- Breeding, whelping or queening
- Elective cosmetic procedures
- Boarding and kenneling
- Dental cleaning
- Spaying or neutering
- Diagnostics and treatment of parasitic infestations (like heartworms)
- Cremation, burial or funeral costs
Trupanion pet insurance is only available to dogs and cats under 14 years old. The company extends a five-day waiting period for injuries and 30 days for illnesses.
How Much Does Trupanion Cost?
Based on our quotes, Trupanion pet insurance costs around $70 per month for dogs and $40 for cats. Keep in mind that your premium may differ depending on your pet’s age, species, breed and location. Your policy selections, such as your deductible and reimbursement percentage, can also affect your monthly cost.
Adding extra coverage will also increase your premium. For example, we found the Complementary Care rider can add between $3 to $5 a month for cats and $7 to $9 for dogs.
Trupanion currently only offers a discount to customers with an assistance animal or therapy pet.
Trupanion Monthly Pricing
The chart below includes sample quotes we gathered for different pets based in Ojai, Calif. Each figure is based on Trupanion’s accident and illness policy with a 90% reimbursement rate, unlimited annual coverage and a $200 deductible per covered condition.
Why Choose Lemonade?
To help you get a feel for the customer experience, we reviewed dozens of customer testimonials on reputable sites like Trustpilot. Lemonade has a 4.3 out of 5-star rating on the site. Many customers seem satisfied with the provider’s quick claim processing times and convenient plan management features. But while some customers find AI-powered customer service valuable, others struggle to find resolutions for more complex inquiries.
“Lemonade continues to impress. I have an 11-year-old senior dog and most companies wouldn’t offer any coverage. Lemonade accepted him right away and has been excellent to work with. We’ve had numerous claims for routine services and illnesses and accidents, including [coverage for] 90% of a $7,000 knee surgery bill! The claims process is very easy, the service is fast and personable and [Lemonade] never fails to approve claims (as long as they aren’t related to pre-existing conditions).” —Fredrik A. via Trustpilot
“I am currently in the process of trying to file a claim, but the app experience is not convenient or flexible enough for my case. [I] tried contacting Lemonade through various channels. The main phone line is a dead-end—simply no response and dead air after an initial message. [I] tried contacting via chat but no real person, only an AI bot.” —Thomas K. via Trustpilot
Why Choose Trupanion?
Trupanion offers pet insurance with unlimited annual benefits, customizable per-condition deductibles and a variety of coverage add-ons. The company holds a 4.3 out of 5-star rating on Trustpilot.
Based on customer reviews, Trupanion’s vet payment option seems popular among current policyholders. Pet owners facing costly emergency bills can avoid paying out-of-pocket with Trupanion’s option to compensate veterinarians directly rather than waiting on a claims payout. But some customer complaints mention confusion surrounding the company’s policy exclusions.
“Recently, we had to submit a claim for our sweet fur baby Mona. Our vet was able to submit the invoice while we were in the office and it was preapproved before we left. I found this extremely efficient, which decreased our anxiety regarding the financial cost of the vet visit. Overall our experience with Trupanion has been a positive one.” —Bonita D. via Trustpilot
“There are too many excluded items. I expected a deductible and copay, but [Trupanion] also doesn’t cover taxes, an additional 13% in my jurisdiction. And its exclusion of examination fees isn’t just for wellness exams. When my dog was diagnosed with cancer, [Trupanion] refused to pay for the consultation with an oncologist and the fee for the surgeon.” —Bryan P. via Trustpilot
The Bottom Line: Which Provider is Best for Your Pet?
When comparing top pet insurance providers like Lemonade and Trupanion, it’s important to consider the specific coverage needs of your pet and your overall budget. While Lemonade and Trupanion both base accident and illness coverage, Lemonade is cheaper and offers more policy customization. However, Trupanon extends unlimited coverage and features add-ons for services like physical therapy, breeding and pet burial costs.
We recommend you get a free quote from both providers before choosing a policy. You can also check out our guide to cheap pet insurance policies for alternatives like Pets Best.
Methodology: Our System for Ranking the Best Pet Insurance Companies
Our review of pet insurance companies is based on in-depth industry research that includes reading hundreds of customer reviews, scoping quotes and purchasing processes by secret shopping, speaking to representatives on the phone to assess the customer service experience, and surveying 1,000 dog and cat owners nationwide to determine the most important elements of pet insurance coverage.
We scored each provider on a 100-point scale based on those elements. We then divided this final score by 20 to calculate an overall star rating out of 5.0 stars.
Here are more details about each factor and how it’s weighted:
- Monthly pricing (25 points): The best pet insurance companies combine comprehensive coverage and plan options with affordable rates.
- Plans (15 points): The top pet insurance companies offer accident-and-illness plans, accident-only plans and wellness or preventive care add-ons to give customers the option to choose a plan that’s best for their pet.
- Covered treatments (15 points): We scored companies based on the treatments and procedures they cover. Companies with a breadth of included treatments and unique coverages received more points than providers with more standard or general policies.
- Customization options (10 points): Providers with more annual-limit, deductible and reimbursement-rate options earned the highest scores.
- Customer care (10 points): We scored companies on their website accessibility and overall usability, customer service availability, mobile apps (if any), money-back guarantees and veterinarian telehealth options, awarding points to the insurers with more customer experience offerings.
- Industry reputation (10 points): We reviewed up-to-date ratings and accreditation information from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and scored companies on their years of experience in the industry and their state availability.
- Waiting periods (10 points): Companies with shorter accident, illness and orthopedic waiting periods between the sign-up and coverage start date scored higher than companies with longer waiting periods.
- Eligible age (5 points): Some companies don’t offer policies for pets that are over a certain age. We deducted points from providers that have age limits for covered pets.
We use our rating system to compare and contrast each company against key factors to help us determine the best pet insurance companies in the industry. To learn more, read our full pet insurance methodology for reviewing and scoring providers.